Veterinary Hopsital, Distillery Road, Wexford+ 353 (0)53 914 5755theveterinarycentre@eircom.net

Chocolate Poisoning in Cats & Dogs:

Post 5 of 106

It’s Valentines and chocolate is on the go, please don’t be tempted to share your chocolate with your fur babies & don’t leave an open box on the floor or sofa as this temptation is often too much for them:

The sweet treat can lead to illness and even death in dogs. All our Vets at O’Shea & Bramley Veterinary Hospital say it’s one of the most common causes of dog poisoning. If you think your pooch might’ve eaten chocolate — especially the darker kinds — call your vet right away. We will ask about your dog’s size, what kind of chocolate he ate, and how much. We might want you to make your dog vomit or simply watch his behaviour.
A chocolate chip cookie can cause problems for a little dog, and a bag of chocolate chips can spell trouble for a big one.

Cats & Chocolate:

Although they’re not normally as curious about people foods as dogs are, cat (and kittens in particular) can sometimes eat things they aren’t supposed to eat, including chocolate. Derived from the roasted seeds of the cacao plant, certain properties in chocolate can be toxic to cats when they’re ingested, specifically, caffeine and theobromine. Eating these ingredients can lead to a number of medical complications—some of which may be serious—in your cat.

If you think your pet has consumed any chocolate please contact us on 0539145755 and we can advise on the best treatment for them.

Social share:

MENU